Here’s to another year. 2015. I have a feeling it’ll be one of my best years yet, but who knows. I’m not one to make resolutions, but I did stop going to the gym for a while, so I’ll be going back. I’m going to make a better attempt to spend my money wisely, and not waste it on cheap you-get-what-you-pay-for stuff. I’m going to learn how to say “no” to things I don’t want, and be less indecisive about life in general. Just going to be happy, you know? :)
This is probably something I should do at the end of the year rather than at the beginning of the next year, but here is my quick little summary about the wild ride 2014 was. I went to 41 concerts/festivals, and I think that’s the only thing worth counting, haha. There is nothing else that I really kept track of.
Best posts of 2014
Here are some of my favourite posts of the year, I guess ones that I am particularly proud of writing about as well.
- Questions I get as a pescetarian – the title says it all, yes, people do ask me “Do you eat whale?”
- How I got into photography – the story of how I came to love photography
- 7 Least Romantic Things I’ve Ever Done – some of the strangest ‘romantic’ things I have done
- My wonderful, much-loved blog – why I love my blog
- The Sick vs. The Workaholic – pressure at work = no.
- Miso soup saved my life – my love/hate relationship with ‘breakfast’
- I wanted to be a geologist – my muted love for rocks and the earth
- The story of Georgie – how I came to like, hate, and then love my name
- A little ray of sunshine – the moments you catch someone’s day become just that little bit brighter
- Why I listen to metal music – why metal, for me, will always be different from other genres of music
- Goodbye, purple guitar pick necklace – the simple story of my necklace, its origin, and letting it go
- When people go missing – one of the weirdest things I am intrigued by: missing persons registries
Yearly Summary of 2014
- I returned from Japan in the first week of 2014.
- I spent most of the month looking for work.
- Farewelled band Bayonets For Legs on a cruise ship gig. A unique experience!
- Went to the Big Day Out festival on Australia Day in Sydney.
- I started my 2 minutes and 40 seconds interview segment this month, as well as my Things I Miss segment.
- I started working as a front-end web developer for Freelancer.com. I met so many lovely people, and I love the environment I work in, and I love what I do. Working at Freelancer honestly changed my life.
- I did a little Valentines Day project.
- I did my learner driver test again and got my licence again. It had been seven years since I last drove.
- April was the glorious month in which I started waking at 5:30am. Unfortunately I began to fail later on in the year.
- Spent a weekend in Port Macquarie with some of my family. Had fun picking strawberries and just enjoying the views.
- Saw Velociraptor again. Had a total ball.
- I photographed my first ever festival, Groovin The Moo. It was a long, three-hour trek up north but I had such a good time. I was proud of a lot of my photos even though I wasn’t photographing in the highest resolution…
- I posted a redesign of my blog, titled bermuda. You’re looking at it now! It took me a couple of months to build. I am getting a bit tired of it, haha.
- I had my graduation ceremony for my Master of Interactive Multimedia that I finished in late 2013.
- I turned 23. For the record, my favourite cake is red velvet, and I hate chocolate cake… then again, I don’t really like cake. The design team at work surprised me with a little ice cream cake!
- I got myself a car this month, a red Mazda 3. I had a lot of money saved up from the past few years and it is an affordable car that I am going to keep for a while to come.
- I celebrated my birthday with a little shindig (thanks Emily!). I invited friends old and new, from school, university and work.
- I met Matt Mullenweg, founder of WordPress!
- Went to a chocolate festival in Hunter Valley. It wasn’t that good…
- Had my first drive-in cinema experience.
- Made the mistake of drinking a bit too much – it was my first pass-out drunk experience, I guess. I was really quite traumatised and am very cautious of drinking alcohol now.
- Saw Velociraptor again. You have no idea how pumped I was! I finally met Josh Byrd, guitarist of Velociraptor, someone I have known online and in a virtual presence for years. It was lovely to finally meet him.
- I started going to the gym. My hatred for the gym dissipated and I began to enjoy working out.
- It was a sad and bittersweet farewell for Anberlin when I went to their last concert in Sydney on their farewell tour.
- Went to Canberra, Australia’s capital, and visited my university friend Ryan (I hadn’t seen him in years), as well as just exploring the city.
- I photographed another festival, Listen Out festival. I was exposed to some new music which was really nice.
- I met my online friend Monica. I have known her pretty much since 2009… maybe 2008. I don’t remember. We met by chance when I spotted her at the train station and messaged her just to check if it was her!
- Had my second work Hackathon. It was tops.
- Lilian officially became a lawyer this month and I went to her celebratory dinner. Woo!
- I photographed The Blurst of Times Festival in Sydney. I absolutely enjoyed it. I saw Velociraptor again, and I got a bit deaf for a couple of weeks in one ear, because I forgot to bring earplugs. I’m relieved that it healed eventually, though.
- Went to Sculpture by the Sea, as I have been doing for the past couple of years. I wasn’t as impressed this year as I was in previous years.
- I attended a family reunion and saw some of my extended family and family friends, some of whom I hadn’t seen in half a decade.
- I saw Hey Geronimo twice this month, having driven down to the country town of Wollongong. I had an awesome time.
- I had a university reunion for people who completed (or are currently studying) the masters degree I did (Interactive Multimedia). Met a few nice mature age students.
- I finally met Gemma, one of the head ladies at Casual Band Blogger, one of the music blogs I photograph and write for. We had brunch, and visited record stores and had coffee and a nice chat.
- Finally saw The Lemonheads live in concert, with Seb. I’m glad he enjoyed the show! I had been dying to see the Lemonheads for quite a while. They didn’t disappoint, but at the same time I thought their set could have been more exciting. At least they played my favourite song, If I Could Talk I’d Tell You.
- Had some celebratory drinks and went to Moonrise Lookout to look at fireworks over the city on New Year’s Eve.
What’s in store for 2015?
I need to sort out a few things for my blog, and to be honest, a redesign will probably be in the works soon. I am going to be organising A Day in the Life, taking it over from Manda. I am going to continue the Fashion Friday and 2 minutes and 40 seconds segments as best I can. I have a few ideas for Things I Miss as well.
I am not sure if I have other fun bits and bobs in store, but I need to catch up on all my friends’ blogs as well. I hope you all have a marvellous new year and that 2015 brings you much joy.