Achievement Unlocked: April 2018
I’m starting to get that feeling where I’m a little bored of writing these monthly recaps. Half of it comes from the fact that I forget and get lazy because a monthly recap is not something I feel super passionate about. The other half is that I forget what happens in a month, but that’s something I am trying to do better at.
I use a loose form of bullet journalling – loose as in I have daily to-dos and I do the “daily log”, and include events and tasks, and I migrate tasks forward, but I don’t schedule anything or do a future log or any kind of planning. Pretty bullshit way to do it if you ask me. 😆 Over the past two weeks I have attempted to write more “notes” in my daily log. I think it will be more handy when I look back over my notebook.
I keep two notebooks as well, which is a bit redundant. I use one at work and one at home. It distinctly separates what tasks I have at work or that I want to do in my break at work, and the work I do at home. I don’t know if this is beneficial though. I think that for me personally, as someone who strongly believes in leaving work at work unless absolutely necessary, it works – but I feel like there are things I learn at work that should be in my “personal” journal.
All that waffle aside, though, I bought a new dot grid notebook to use for slightly stricter bullet journalling and it’s on it’s way. I got the CIAK Mate soft cover notebook in navy. I’m picky about my notebooks – I prefer soft to hardcover, and I like them to lie flat. I dislike elastic bands and I don’t like notebooks too thick either. This one, at 128 pages, is not as thin as I’d like, but it’s tolerable considering what’s on offer on the Larrypost website I purchased it from. I chose navy because I have been loving it as a new “neutral” colour for clothes and accessories. It surprisingly goes well with a lot of other colours! A bit like dark blue jeans. 😉 I had wanted to buy the same notebook in another colour but I figured I’d see how this one goes first.
OK, onto this month’s review. I hope to actually post my May review on time. 🤣
Just before writing this, I was:
We purchased tickets to visit Alcatraz on our trip to San Francisco in July. Tick!
This past month, I achieved:
- I completed a first aid course.
- I went to the Google Women Techmaker’s Summit.
- I have been trying to catch up on reading blogs and I am at 95 unread posts now – I had started at 600+ a couple of months ago. I think that in April I managed to catch up a lot.
- Nick and I celebrated six months of marriage at The Grounds, our wedding venue.
- We saw comedians Ross Noble and James Veitch, live, and they made us laugh a lot. 😆
- Nick and I went to Melbourne for a few days. We had a lot of good food! 🤤
This past month, I learned:
- I learned a lot in the first aid course about how to correctly administer first aid. A lot of people think they know how to save someone’s life or stop someone from bleeding or even treat a wound, but you’d be surprised that the correct and advised way to do it is probably not what you think.
onClickattribute, and filtering and mapping through data… quite a few things that went over my head at first but that I came to understand.
- I struggled with a task at work but in the end I was able to complete it. I had been working on it for almost five weeks… I felt really down sometimes because it was very challenging and so out of my comfort zone. But in the end I realised that I could explain the entire scope of the feature without stumbling over my words. Six months ago I would have said something like, “this function I wrote touches this thing here and then asks it to do something based on something in this file somewhere up here…” So knowing I have confidence in explaining the workings of that task makes me happy. 🙂
- I really dislike rayon/spandex blends used in clothing because the material feels cheap, crinkles easily, and doesn’t last long, and that I should double check anything I purchase to make sure it isn’t made of this. I think this was more of a reminder than something I actually learned though.
This past month, I got bored of:
Eating cereal for breakfast at home.
But that’s OK, because I enjoyed:
Having a protein shake and then eating some hot vegetables and eggs at work. (Yeah, we have chefs – I think most of my readers know that. ☺)
Today, something that made me happy was:
Drinking BeforeYouSpeak coffee. I enjoy the taste and it gives me energy without me crashing. I used it as a pre-workout for the gym today.
Today, something I could have done better was:
I didn’t really give myself enough time to visit the Salmon and Bear restaurant after going to the gym, because by the time I left for the gym the restaurant was about to close. I had really wanted a poke bowl. ☹️ I didn’t time that well.
Tomorrow, I’m going to:
Work from home. I have been working from home this whole week because of my injured leg. I’m not quite ready to face rush hour on public transport and I feel like the office space is going to overwhelm me a bit after the accident down the stairs. 😬 Hopefully have a quiet night in. As I usually do every Friday, haha.
In May, I’m looking forward to:
Well, right now, given that I injured my leg last week, I am really looking forward to it healing and hopefully by the end of the month. 😩
In May, I’m going to make the positive change of:
I want to try to give myself a more relaxing morning and not dive into technology so eagerly. I want to take the time to stretch, walk around, wash my face and wake myself up, hydrate (drink water)…
One thing on my to-do list is:
Amusingly enough there is nothing that ready needs doing that I have written in my notebook. “Write a blog post” was the last thing on it for today, but maybe I will have some things that need doing tomorrow. I do have to write a review blog post for a phone case I received, so there’s that. 🙂
One happy photo from this past month is:
We got a photo with James Veitch! I’m very grateful that he stuck around to meet everyone afterwards.
If I had to write a book or record a film about this past month, I would call it:
Live Learn Laugh
After I post this, I’m going to:
Get ready for bed. 😆 This seems to be my regular response for this prompt.
Watercolor Bakery Set graphics used in banner image purchased from Design Bundles.