Stubborn reels, darkness and irritability
Today I had another lesson of photography, in which we processed our rolls of film and printed a contact sheet. The film roll I had was from a photoshoot from yesterday. As part of our task we had to create photographs of a person, an object and a place. Because of how individually oriented this task is, especially in terms of expression, we had to choose things that meant a lot to us. For the person, I chose James, so yesterday he helped me out and picked me up from home so we could go to a park and I could take photos. He was a good sport! 🙂 Most people are awkward when knowing they are the subject of a photo. I like having a film SLR though, because I know with a DSLR, because it’s digital, I would just use the machinegun method when taking photos because I wouldn’t be wasting film and I could just delete the crap shots. With an SLR I can more appropriate plan out each shot… I don’t know, there’s something really nice about it that makes me appreciate this idea of capturing the moment a lot more.
We dragged my guitar along, because at home there isn’t really an appropriate place to shoot photos. My room might look nice in black-and-white, but I wanted a more natural setting. My guitar was indeed the object I chose to shoot.
I ran out of film before I could shoot any landscape for my ‘place’, but I’m heading to the beach on Friday with James to finish that off, and to work on my final assignment too.
Today I had the worst trouble getting my film onto the reel to process. It was annoying, to say the least. Our tutor told us to remember to breathe, and knowing me, I took his advice. 😛 I thought I had it alright in the darkroom as we pulled our film out… okay, I’m scared of the dark, and trying to wind film onto a reel in pitch blackness is not my idea of fun.
I think it is a good thing that my night light died a few weeks ago, because I have actually – drum roll – been sleeping in the dark. I don’t know why I didn’t do it earlier. The dark does still scare me; last night I fell flat on my face on the carpet because I missed my bed when I tried to leap in it. I’m still scared of monsters under the bed… 🙁
I had a lot of trouble getting my film on the reel, and it must have taken at least twenty minutes. I was with Kay, since we were sharing a processing tank. She had hers done so much faster than mine, and tried to help me with mine but my film was being stubborn and dumb. I even dropped it on the floor. Urgh. I was saying out loud, “it’ll be okay, don’t give up”, and Kay was just being so patient with me. In the end I called my tutor and he did it for me. Stupid ass reel. Next time I have to do this let’s just hope I won’t be in the same predicament. I will not be pleased. 😧
Processing the film took so long – a lot of chemicals were involved, a lot of waiting, washing, inside the little processing tank. It was enjoyable though. 🙂 And when we were done and pulled out the film, oooooh. The negatives were lovely, I was glad mine turned out alright despite all that hassle inside the darkroom.
In the afternoon we printed our negatives onto a contact sheet – just a single sheet that contains a copy of all the photos. This was probably a lot quicker and easier than processing the film itself, just a fair bit of waiting time waiting for the photo paper as it sat in the solutions. We did that in the dark too, but it wasn’t pitch black as we had special dim lights on for exposing the films. Our tutor suggested we put our film away as soon as we took out what we needed.
“Always assume that some idiot is going to turn on the lights…” (This would ruin the photo paper.)
Even though it’s tedious, it’s all very fun. Even though developing my own photos would be fun too, it’s a time consuming process. Here are a few shots of my contact sheet. I was too lazy to scan so I just took a photo. 😛
More photos and things on my photoblog. ♥️
James joked that he looks better in Delta 400 (the film type). 😆