A Day in the Life: November 2014
This post is another entry for Manda’s A Day in the Life linkup. Feel free to view my previous entries.
Today was Tuesday, a work day.
How To Make Your Way to Work
- Wake up at 6:30am.
- Feel awesome.
- Get out of bed eventually, and eventually make the 7:34am bus.
- Catch the train at the station once the bus gets there.
There was very little to do to get ready, and I was surprised I was quicker than usual. I guess I didn’t put too much unnecessary thought into my outfit. I put on a long skirt, a loose sleeveless top, and sparkly brown flats. The flats are getting old, but I like to wear them occasionally. I was at the bus stop early, which is a bit of a record for me. I usually walk to a further bus stop, but I made this one.
Just a little side note on nightmares
I also had a very unpleasant nightmare during the night (I actually woke up trying to scream, then didn’t feel accomplished, so I actually did scream). I dreamed that some people I knew wanted to play a game where you lie in the sand and a machine blows sand and pillows at you, and you have to throw pillows at people. I was so uncomfortable and frightened that I left, but then those people caught up with me and we were sitting in a car. I was trying to clean sand out of my ear, only to have a huge spider come out of my ear and bite me on the finger. That was the point at which I woke up.
How to Be Productive While Commuting
- Message or text your friends endlessly.
- Listen to music.
- Reply to emails you forgot to reply to last week.
- Clean your email inbox, if you’re the inbox-zero kind of person I am.
I did manage to reply to a handful of emails, as well as clean out the majority of my work email inbox. I also dealt with a few personal emails, though some of them require further action before I can file them away.
How to Work, At Work
- Make a pot of tea.
- Ask your product manager(s) what needs to be done, because for some reason you have nothing to do at the present moment.
- Have a stand-up meeting at 10am.
- Fix some issues that were recently discovered, because they take priority.
- Eventually take a break to go to the gym.
- Go through the afternoon reading up on important documentation.
- Have a long meeting from 4pm to 6pm for the sprint planning of one of the products you are working on.
I feel like I could have been more productive today, but I did get a fair bit of work in. I am expecting more in the days to come!
How to Work Out at the Gym
- Exercise bike for five minutes.
- Row for five minutes, fast as you can.
- Exercise bike for two-and-a-half minutes.
- Crossfit trainer for five minutes.
- I have no idea what those things are called, but you pull a bar down and yeah, it works your arm muscles. Neat.
- Do a whole heap of ab exercises!
- Well, shower, eventually, yeah.
I guess I do a bit of everything at the gym. I usually do mostly cardio, and one day last week I did mostly strength training, but I’ve been mixing it up a bit.
Just a little side note on lunch
I was just going to eat oats for lunch (since we have a stocked cupboard at work with an endless supply of cereal and oats), but opted for a salmon sushi roll. Emi was telling me that it was a better idea to have a bit of protein. I had a $1 coffee voucher – which could also be used on tea – so I used it to buy a (soy) chai tea latte.
How to Commute Home
- Buy Starbucks. Don’t be an idiot and forget to order soy if you’re lactose intolerant.
- Catch a different train line to the one you normally do, because your neighbour & best friend offered you a ride home from the station.
- Do ridiculously productive stuff on the train too, as you drink your beverage.
How to Spend The Rest of Your Day Doing Whatever, Really
- Eat dinner that your father kindly bought you, after suffering a bit from the non-soy-milk beverage you just bought.
- Drink some tea, more tea, more tea!
- Wash the dishes.
- Have a random conversation with your parents about how you hate cake, but are partial to Red Velvet cake only.
- Clean just a bit of your room. Just a little bit, because you can’t be stuffed right now.
- Lie on your bed and dream of tomorrow.
I suppose my parents only want to buy a cake because they have a $10 voucher, which is a bit typical of them, but I know I would do the same. I know that just because you have a voucher doesn’t mean you have to use it, but it is tempting sometimes.
My dad had travelled to the other side of town to buy some food from a restaurant that my mum loves. I didn’t finish the whole container he got me because the serving size was ridiculous. But that means more for later days.
Just a little side note on sleep
Get as enough as you humanly can. And have no nightmares.
The Asian Pear
My days are similar except for that whole uh… “gym” thing. /sweat
I went to the gym this morning and my workout was kind of like yours! Ten minutes on the elliptical, get off because my feet still hurt from an injury, ten minutes on the rowing machine, five sets of bench press, bundle up and go home to shower! I’ve been trying to go to the gym more, since I can’t run. All I want to do is run, but I haven’t been able to for a while and I finally decided to be done sitting around feeling bad about it. xD I’ve gone the last three days! Yay!
I love how imaginative you are with your posts! Also, tea is always good :)
Unfortunately, I don’t go to the gym, but I do school work, and homework. That’s pretty exciting /sarcasm. I’m glad it was just a nightmare. I like to think of good thoughts when I’m about to sleep, as that helps and my therapist recommends that. I might do this.