Hilariously affectionate things
The question most curious people ask is, ‘Why do you love x?’
‘What kind of question is that?’
Most people are not able to explain why.
In my current relationship, compared to previous ones, I can pick out the mundane, stupid things that are so obviously and hilariously affectionate, that I couldn’t possibly imagine being OK doing to, or with, anyone else.
- Cutting Nick’s toenails. If I didn’t love him, I’d point and laugh.
- Surprising Nick with a ride on a steam train. If it was anyone else, I would tell them about the event and suggest they check it out if they like steam trains. I probably don’t love them enough to know how much they like or don’t like steam trains.
- Not eating peanuts. I suppose most people do this, but I stopped eating nuts because Nick is allergic to them. It doesn’t bother me.
- I stopped wearing as many obnoxious band shirts because Nick didn’t like my shirts that had drug references on them. 😦
- Scratching Nick’s head. Probably his favourite. Because of my long nails, head-scratching (scalp-scratching?) is now on par with a therapeutic head massage. Scratching my own head doesn’t feel that good, so I must be missing out. 🙁 😆
Those, I think, are just a couple of the little things that can make you realise you probably do love someone just that much.
When you have that kind of connection with someone, a lot of things stop becoming sacrifices or ‘going out of your way’. It’s always a way to keep your partner happy, and it never feels like a chore.
A little part of me knew something was wrong when I felt somewhat embarrassed by my partner in my previous relationships. Now I just enjoy how silly we get, even if it is in public.
We laugh if we see other people looking at us and we just kiss and make them turn away. Sometimes they keep looking. It’s hilarious.
Now I can add something else to my list:
- Public displays of affection used to be totally off-limits, and now I feel completely fine with it. We’re comfortable around each other and we can be appropriate in public, so I don’t feel like I need to be ashamed. 😜
I could probably think of other things.
My favourite is probably the head-scratching too.